Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy
Movement detection in wind turbines
Project result: Poster (PDF)
Description of the company
It takes the brightest minds to be a technology leader. It takes imagination to create green energy for the generations to come. At Siemens Gamesa we make real what matters.
Siemens Gamesa has a vision for renewable energy: we believe in the power of nature and technology. Help us to be ready to face the energy challenges of tomorrow and make a green footprint – join us in creating a better future for our planet. With a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 24,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshore wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions.
In offshore construction the safety of the workers is a prerequisite for the execution of our projects. Therefore, advancement in technologies that focus on safety are highly regarded and always needed.
The increased usage of sensor systems enables the implementation of detection systems in areas that have not been explored yet. Sensor systems can detect deviations from processes external of the wind turbine. Internal processes are only captured manually by sight of the technicians, if they observe it or aware of it, leading to a lack of safety measures that can be deployed to increase safety inside of the wind turbines.
Aims of the project
In future, sensor technology shall support the safety of the workers by detecting deviations from standard procedures and identifying the critical paths. Hence, a setup and arrangement of different sensor technologies shall support the internal movement detection.
We are looking for students who are keen on experiencing to work in an environment that focuses on making our world a little better and support us with their specific skill sets. The following tasks shall guide the students through this project. On top, we are open for applications for subsequent working student options.
- The students should create an in-depth and holistic overview about latest technologies and application areas in sensor technology
- Further, limitations need to be identified and their respective risks for the construction phase evaluated and assessed.
- Establish a solution, that combines different sensor technologies, use for example morphological box or other methods
Data Scientist / Data Analytics
- Define the data that can be captured during the construction phase.
- Establish an overview of all executed processes that are only handled internally in the wind turbine.
- Identify the critical path with LEAN methods.
- Establish a framework where and when data can be gathered and why this needs to be addressed.
- Analyze existing use cases in terms of their technology maturity and adaptability to the given use case.
- Establishment of full / holistic business case for the given use case including risk assessment, cost, and stakeholder overview.
Derivation of a full planned project to implement including work streams, time plan and used methods (Waterfall, agile, etc.)
Target group (students)
This project offers a deep dive into the sector of renewable energies and specifically, into offshore construction of turbines. The interdisciplinary team of students acts as an integral part of the innovation project from the very beginning. Hence, they will learn how to approach a complexly scoped project step by step being guided by employees with a broad spectrum of knowledge in different disciplines. We offer the possibility to extend their gained knowledge as students by applying it to a practical case. Together we will contribute to make this world a little better by creating a solution that increases efficiency and enables an improved material management.
Please save these dates: Fishing for Experience Termine
You can apply for Fishing for Experience online.