Your Bachelor's or Master's studies at TU Hamburg: Applications are open until July 15.

FAQs for Master’s programs

Questions concerning application / admission / registration to the Master's programs taught in German

1. Questions concerning application

2. Questions concerning admission

3. Questions concerning registration

4. Questions for applicants from abroad

1. Questions concerning application

Which program does TUHH offer?
Detailed information is given here. Please read also the information here (PDF / only in German).

Who is going to inform me whether my first final degree is suitable for a Master’s course at TUHH?
Admission requirement for a Master's program is a qualifying degree of a Bachelor of Science or an equivalent degree from a corresponding academic program. The degree will be recognized as qualificatory if the combination of subjects will give reason to expect a successful completion within the regular duration of the Master's program.

How do I apply for a place on a Master’s course?
Information can be found here. And: You have to apply online.

Which documents I have to submit for a complete application?
Information can be found here. At least you have to upload your first final degree including your transcript of records.

I have some technical problems concerning the upload of documents. Who is going to help me?
Please contact apply(at)tuhh(dot)de.

I do not get access to my application status. What can I do?
Please get in contact with apply(at)tuhh(dot)de.

I have lost my application number. Who is going to help me?
Please contact STUDIS stating your full name and your date of birth.

How many times can I apply?
You may submit one application per application semester.

Is the admission to the Master’s programs restricted?
The admission to the study programs “International Management and Engineering” is restricted. The other Master’s programs taught in German are free from restriction. It means if your professional suitability is proven you’ll get an admission (acceptance).

I won’t receive my Bachelor’s degree up to the application deadline. What can I do?
In case you will receive your Bachelor's degree not before the end of the application deadline you also can and have to apply until the deadline. Please enclose a certification from your university (forecasting your degree until end of current semester / before starting the Master's program at TUHH / sample) and your transcript of records.

I will be on holiday during the online application period. Can I apply by post?
No, an online application is compulsory. Please authorize a person you trust to act for you during your absence.

Can I apply to a Master’s program at TUHH if I do not have gained a B. Sc. but a B. Eng. or B. Arts?
Yes, you can apply as a holder of a B. Eng. degree if your initial course corresponds in subject matter to the study program you wish to take up at TUHH and if your professional suitability is proven. If you have finished a B. Arts you may only apply to our program “Logistics, Infrastructure and Mobility”.

Do I have to prove special language skills?
Information can be found here.

2. Questions concerning admission

What conditions must I fulfill to gain admission?
An examination committee will decide on your professional suitability. Further information can be found here.

Is there the possibility to get admission by applying for hardship cases’ quota e. g.?
Only for restricted Master's programs (International Management and Engineering) there is the possibility to get admission by applying for hardship cases. Information can be found here.

When will I learn whether I can gain admission?
As a rule you will learn within 6 – 8 weeks of processing your application by STUDIS (by August for the winter semester, by February for the summer semester) if you can be admitted. Concerning the study programs under admission restriction (admissions only to a winter semester!) you’ll be informed after the application deadline is over.

3. Questions concerning registration

I have gained a university place at TUHH. What is to do next?
You have to apply online for registration up to the registration deadline. The online application form for registration (“Online-Immatrikulation”) can be found at the online application portal after you have been admitted and accept the place. Please make the online Registration and print the form you find at the end of online registration. Send this form together with the documents listed in the registration form.

After the enrolment you will get a request of payment concerning the semester contribution by the Registrar’s Office. Please do not pay before receipt of the named request.

When does the degree course start?
The semester officially starts on April 1 (summer semester) or October 1 (winter semester) each year. Information concerning starts of regular lectures can be found here.

Where can I get my timetable/curriculum?
You have to arrange your timetable on the basis of the course plan of your course of study that you can find here. You can find the university calendar here.

When I register, I have to show proof of health insurance. Where can I get it?
Germany has two kinds of health insurance scheme, statutory and private. If you are under the age of 30 you should choose a statutory health fund (e. g. DAK, TK, AOK, Barmer…). Please give the health insurer a copy of your university acceptance letter and state there that you would like to enrol at TUHH. The relevant health insurance company will then arrange for TUHH to receive notification of your insurance status online. If you are 30 or older, statutory insurance can be very costly. Private health insurers (e. g. Mondial Assistance, Elvia, Allianz…) offer lower cost alternatives. Please hand in a copy of your health insurance policy when you register.

If you are registering for a preliminary semester (SVS) or preparatory course (SPRINT), only private health insurance is possible.

More information can be found here.

4. Questions for applicants from abroad (applicants who have finished their first final degree at an university abroad)

What evidence or documents do you need to check my eligibility for Master’s entrance, or must I enclose with my application?
Further information can be found here. Please note the application deadlines and also the language skills you have to prove.

Where shall I send my application for admission?
There is no need to send your application package by the postal service.

Must I send my documents to uni-assist?
No, TUHH Admissions Office will check your certificates and ascertain whether you are eligible to join the university.

I need confirmation of my application for my visa. How do I get it?
Please contact the Registrar’s office.

Must I take the DSH German language examination or an other language exam for university entrance?
By the time you register you must show a proof that you have passed a recognized German language test. See here, too.

Can I take the DSH at the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH)?
The TUHH does not offer the DSH examination. We therefore advise applicants to take the (TestDaF) test in German as a foreign language.

Where can I take the test in German as a foreign language (TestDaF)?
You can find information on test centers worldwide online at

Can I learn German at the TUHH before starting my course?
No. You can only register as a student when you have fulfilled all the admission requirements (university entrance eligibility qualification for a Master’s course, German test, letter of admission).

What happens if I have received an offer of admission but failed to obtain 16 points in the TestDaF, or did not take the test?
In that case it will unfortunately not be possible for you to register at TUHH.

Where can I find information about entry into Germany and residence regulations, a visa?
The German consulate or embassy in your home country will inform you about the requirements for a Visa for Study Purposes (Visum zu Studienzwecken). Important: Do not on any account enter Germany with a tourist visa, because it cannot be converted subsequently into a student visa! To obtain a student visa, you must have an offer of admission to a university course or a Studienkolleg. If you have no offer of admission to a course as yet, you can only apply for a Student Applicant Visa (Studienbewerbervisum), which is valid for three months. Within three months of entry to Germany, the relevant authority for foreign nationals will convert this, like the student visa, into a Residence Permit for Study Purposes (Aufenthaltserlaubnis zu Studienzwecken), provided you begin a course of study.