Orientation Study Program at TU Hamburg: Applications are open until August 31st.


Funding available at TUHH

  • Erasmus traineeship (for internships in the EU, Norway, Turkey, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Iceland)
  • PROMOS  - (scroll down to "Funding/Financial Aid", for overseas internships, travel expense subsidiary only)

AuslandsBafoeg & Bildungskredit (public grants and loans)


Students with German citizenship can apply for Auslands-BAföG for their internship abroad. Auslands-BAföG is the funding available to German citizens who are studying at a university and plan to do parts of their studies, a full degree or an internship abroad.
Auslands-BAföG may even be available to German university students who do not qualify for inner-German BAföG. That is because the costs of living and studying may be higher abroad than in Germany.

To co-finance an internship with Auslands-BAföG, the internship has to be at least 12 weeks long.
Students have to apply 6 months before the intended start of the internship abroad.

The Studierendenwerk Hamburg provides counsel for students interested in Auslands-BAföG. They take applications for stays in the USA.
Applications for Auslands-BAföG for stays in other countries and regions will have to be addressed to Studierendenwerke in other German cities.

There are a few specific exceptions that allow international fulltime degree students to apply for BAföG and Auslands-BAföG.


An internship abroad can be co-financed through an education loan, which has to be paid back with interest. To find out whether a loan would be beneficial for you and how to apply for it, please turn to the Studierendenwerk Hamburg and their counselling centre for finance.

More funding possibilities: DAAD stipend database

More funding possibilities for internships abroad can be found through the DAAD stipend database.