The aim in developing modular product families is, to be able to offer a vast spectrum of variants to the market while keeping the internal product and process complexity as low as possible. Different modularization methods are described in literature to achieve this aim. A fundamental investigation and consolidation of these methods and of project results of modualrization projects undertaken in industry, to gain a deeper understanding the system of effects modular product structures have on economic factors does currently not exist.
The aim of this research project, which is funded by the German research foundation, is to develop a generic model to get a distinct picture of the properties and effects of modular product structures. Cause and effect chains are to be found and the degree of modularity is to be measured by a system of metrics.
From 03rd till 05th of August 2016 an international research exchange meeting on the impact of modular product structures - iMPS has been held. More information...
Project leader: Prof. Dr.-Ing. D. Krause
Project worker: Dipl.-Ing. Jennifer Hackl
The project is funded by the German research foundation (DFG - Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) within the research grant. GEPRIS
- Hackl, J.; Krause, D.: Towards an Impact Model of modular Product Structures, In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED17), Vol.3: Product, Services and Systems Design , Vancouver, Canada, 2017, pp. 151-160.
- Krause, D.; Hackl, J.: Internationaler Workshop zu Auswirkungen modularer
Produktstrukturen, WiGeP News, ISSN 1613-5504, Ausgabe 2/2016, S. 4.
- Krause, D.; Hackl, J.: Wirkmodell modularer Produktstrukturen, WiGeP News, ISSN 1613-5504, Ausgabe 2/2015, S.2-3.
- Hackl, J.; Krause, D.: Effects of Modular Product Structures on Life Phases and Economic Factors. 14th International Design Conference - DESIGN 2016, Cavtat, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2016, pp.1285 - 1294.
- Windheim, M.; Hackl, J.; Gebhardt, N.; Krause, D.: Assessing Impacts of Modular Product Architectures on the Firm: A Case Study. 14th International Design Conference - DESIGN 2016, Cavtat, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2016, pp. 1445 - 1454.