Working Hours and More

Leave, Illness, Telework, Business Trips ...

Everyone needs breaks! That is why, in relation to the number of hours that you work, you are also obliged to take breaks. After working for six hours (60 time units), Germany's labour laws require you to take a 30-minute (five-unit) break.

In agreement with your boss, this unpaid break may be extended to two hours. In this case it must be recorded on a second time card.

After you have worked 9 hours, you are also required to take a second break. This break should last at least 15 minutes. (Please record 2 units on your time card.)

Bridging Day Arrangement

As an addition to the agreement on working time, Hamburg University of Technology and its Staff Council (Personalrat) have agreed to a so-called "bridging day arrangement". On "bridging days" such as between Christmas and New Year Hamburg University of Technology is closed for most employees. These days off are taken either as flexitime credit or as part of your annual leave.

Business/Work-related Trips

Details of application procedures for work-related trips can be found at:


If you work full time, you can accumulate up to 40 minus or 80 plus hours (up to 400 minus or 800 plus units). These can be collected according to your personal needs and subject to the organizational requirements in your department. You can offset working time credit by shortening working days or by taking one day or several days off. Your flexitime account can be used to extend your holiday times.

If you are employed on a part-time basis, your flexitime credit or debit counts pro rate in relation to the regular working time per week of a full-time employee.
Please check the following link for detailed information:


Full-time employees are entitled to 30 days of paid holiday leave per annum. If you are employed part-time and work only on certain days, your annual leave entitlement is reduced pro rata so that you too can take six weeks off. Further information and details of the application procedure can be found at:

Reporting in Sick

Nobody likes to be ill but of course absences due sickness cannot be avoided. If you are ill, you must phone or email your boss by 10.00 a.m. on your first day of absence. Please find out what the usual procedure is in your department. If you are unwell for longer than three days, you are required to submit a medical certificate on day 4. This means that if you call in sick on a Friday and are still not fit for work on the following Monday, you will need a medical certificate from the Monday. For details check the heading “Arbeitsunfähigkeit” at:

Teleworking and Mobile Working

Please find all relevant information on

Working Hours

As a full-time employee you work 39 hours per week; as a civil servant 40 hours. Hamburg University of Technology has an excellent flexitime system. Core working hours are from 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. from Monday to Friday. You can start work between 6.00 a.m. and 10.00 a.m. and end your working day between 2.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m.

As a part-time employee you arrange your regular working times with your immediate boss, depending on departmental requirements and your personal situation.

You are required to keep a record of the hours that you work on time cards. These are found at the entrances of many TUHH-buildings. If you work longer hours than contractually agreed, you can take off the overtime at a later date that suits you. For detailed information please check