Sebastian Hofmann, M.Sc.
Eißendorfer Str. 38, Building O, Room 1.013
Telephone +49 40 42878-3106
E-Mail: Sebastian Hofmann, M.Sc.
CHOLife: Multiscale experimental analysis and simulation of lifelinces in bioreactors to study their impact on the cultivation performance of Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells.
For the detailed understanding of cultivation processes it is indispensable to get deep insights into the overall and local hydrodynamics with high spatial and temporal resolution because velocity gradients and mixing are dominating concentration gradients (pH, O2, CO2), shear-stress as well as the mass transfer performance.
CHOLife tackles the scale-up problem linking the unique access to a 12,000 L cell culture bioreactor (Institute of Multiphase Flows, TUHH Hamburg, IMS) with the development of a novel scale-up device (Institute of Biochemical Engineering, Stuttgart, IBVT) finally to predict industrial scale performance of IgG1 producing CHO cells. In essence, three dimensional flow trajectories and lifelines will be measured at IMS and mimicked in the novel scale-up simulator of IBVT. The close cooperation of both parties ensures a successful scale-down of large scale conditions and an equally successful prediction of large-scale performance of CHO cells cultured in the novel scale-up simulator.
Graduate Teaching Assistent
- Reactor Design Using Local Transport Processes (Winter Semester 2021/22)
- Grundlagen des Technischen Zeichnens (Summer Semester 2021)
- "Experimental Investigation of the Flow Behavior of a 3D-Printed and Machined Lagrangian Sensor Particle in a 200 L Bioreactor" (still ongoing), Maximilian Kamp, Bachelor's Thesis, 2021
"Design, Construction and Validation of a Lagrangian Sensor Particle for Flow Behavior Determination in a 12,000 L Bioreactor" (still ongoing), Paramveer Singh Gopalsingh, Master's Thesis, 2021
- "Experimental Characterization of Modified Polyurethane Foams for Mechanical Clean Up of Oil Pollutants at Sea Surface" (in close cooperation with Daniel Niehaus), Srividya Kumar Bairamangala, Project Work, 2020-2021
Oral and Poster Presentations
- Hofmann, S.; Gaugler, L.; Fitschen, J.; v. Kameke, A.; Schlüter, M.; Takors, R.: Lagrangian Particle Tracking and Bioreactor Compartmentalization as Novel Scale-up Tools for Biopharmaceutical Processes, 13th European Congress of Chemical Engineering, 6th European Congress of Applied Biotechnology (ECCE 13 & ECAB 6), DECHEMA, Online conference, 2021, Presentation
- Hofmann, S.; Gaugler, L.: CHOLife - Multiscale Experimental Analysis and Simulation of Lifelines in Bioreactors to Study their Impact on the Cultivation Performance of CHO Cells, 2nd Annual Priority Program Status Meeting of the SPP2170 "InterZell", organized by Uni Stuttgart, Koblenz, 2021, Presentation
- Hofmann, S.; Fitschen, J.; v. Kameke, A.; Schlüter, M.: Multiscale Experimental Analysis of Lifelines in Bioreactors 1. Hamburg-Bochumer Mehrphasensymposium, Hamburg/Bochum, Online conference, 2020, Poster Presentation
Fitschen, J.; Hofmann, S.; Wutz, J.; Kameke, A. v.; Hoffmann M.; Wucherpfennig T.; Schlüter, M.
Novel Evaluation Method to Determine the Local Mixing Time Distribution in Stirred Tank Reactors.
Chemical Engineering Science: X.
[Abstract] [doi] [BibTex]