Marc Maly, M.Sc.
Eißendorfer Str. 38, Building O, Room 1.013
Telephone +49 40 42878-4331
E-Mail: Marc Maly, M.Sc.
Industrial Research Projects
The Institute of Multiphase Flows (IMS) has several partners in different industries, with whom is collaborated on research projects.
In my first project, the topic of three-phase-operated reactors in the chemical industry and the major challenge posed by the interaction of the different phases was tackled. In the course of this project, an airlift reactor was designed and operated at the IMS on a pilot scale and the scale-up for a process with liquid, gaseous and solid phases was investigated. Particular importance was given to the discharge of the solid phase, with selected results being presented at the 1. Hamburg-Bochumer Mehrphasensymposium (Experimental Analysis of the Solids Discharge in a Three-Phase Airlift Loop Reactor).
In the context of another project, that was conducted in close cooperation with Jürgen Fitschen, the hydrodynamics of a stirred tank reactor, as used for example in the pharmaceutical industry, was investigated. For these investigations, an acrylic twin of the commercially available reactor was designed and manufactured at IMS. A wide range of measurements were conducted, while various parameters (e.g. aeration, energy input, medium) were varied, to gather insight into bubble size distributions, mass transfer and general operation behaviour. Further investigations for deeper insights into selected topics are still on-going.
A current project is concerned with the optimisation of a chemical process. The task of the IMS lies within measurements in a pilot-scale jet loop reactor in a water/air-system, which are conducted to provide a data basis for later comparisons. In the meantime, copies of a scaled-down version of the pilot plant are designed and manufactured. In these copies, the experiments are condcuted again in the air/water-system and also in the original material system, to gain insight into how different phenomena transfer between systems. The gathered data give insight on how these processes can be scaled up to levels above pilot plant scale.
Cover Story of Processes
We are honoured that our open access research paper is represented as the cover story of the Processes issue of August 2022 (Volume 10, Issue 8):
Jet Loop Reactors can be a suitable tool for providing large amounts of interfacial areas for gas-liquid processes. The article “Scale-Up Strategies of Jet Loop Reactors for the Intensification of Mass Transfer Limited Reactions” gives insight into an ongoing cooperative research project between Hamburg University of Technology and Ehrfeld Mikrotechnik GmbH. The implementation of an existing chemical process in a Jet Loop Reactor is investigated at the pilot and laboratory scale, with the aim of providing a basis for a future scale-up to the industrial scale. Underlying scale-up strategies, reactor design, and experimental results in a model system are presented and discussed.
Graduate Teaching Assistent
- Grundlagen des Technischen Zeichnens (summer semester 2021)
- Konstruktion und Apparatebau (winter semester 2021/2022)
- Konstruktion und Apparatebau (winter semester 2022/2023)
- Member of the Examination Committee for Process Engineering (04/2021 - 04/2023)
- Deputy member of the Examination Committee for Energy and Environmental Engineering (04/2021 - 04/2023)
"Implementation of a Process for the Oxidation of Biomass to Formic Acid in a Jet Loop Reactor" (working title), Malte Maßmann, Master thesis (external thesis at Universität Hamburg, supervision in cooperation with Sebastian Eller)
- "Experimental Determination of the Circulation Gas in a Jet Loop Reactor" (working title), Karolina Piernikowski, Master thesis
- "Prototyping, Implementation and Investigation of an Additional Aerator for a Jet Loop Reactor in Form of a Flange Module" (working title), Sweta Shamria, project work
- "Experimental Investigation and Optimisation of the Geometry of a Two-Phase Nozzle in a Jet Loop Reactor", Merle Wohlberg, Bachelor thesis
- "Study of Storage Stability in Relation to Moisture Diffusion and Temperature in Automatic Dish Washing Tablets", Srividya Bairamangala, Master thesis (supervision of external thesis at Henkel AG & Co. KGaA; supervisor at Henkel AG & Co. KGaA: A. Gebert)
- "Design of a Pressure- and Chemical-Resistant Jet-Loop Reactor by Scale-Down from Pilot-Plant to Laboratory Scale and Subsequent Characterisation", Steffen Schaper, Master thesis, 2021
"Experimental Determination of the Oxygen Mass Transfer Performance and the Bubble Size Distribution of a 200 L Single-Use Aerated Stirred Tank Reactor", Rajat Srivastava, Master thesis (supervision in cooperation with Jürgen Fitschen), 2021
- "Experimental Analysis of the Solids Discharge in a Three-Phase Operated Airlift Loop Reactor", Anna-Christin Menzel, Bachelor thesis, 2020
- Anahita Radmehr, 03/2020 - 06/2022
- Anna Menzel, since 10/2019
- Steffen Schaper, 09/2020 - 11/2020
- Timo Scherwinski, 03/2019 - 06/2019
- Maly, M.; Hoffmann, M.; Schlüter, M.: Experimental Analysis of the Solids Discharge in a Three-Phase Airlift Loop Reactor, 1. Hamburg-Bochumer Mehrphasensymposium, Hamburg/Bochum, online conference, 2020, poster presentation
- Pesch, S.; Maly, M.; Jaeger, P.; Malone, K.; Krause, D.; Schlüter, M.: Experimental Investigation of the Rise Behavior of Live-Oil Droplets during Deep-Sea Oil Spills, Advancing Oil Spill Research, Part 2, Webinar, Marine Technology Society (MTS), 2018, oral presentation
- Pesch, S.; Maly, M.; Jaeger, P.; Malone, K.; Krause, D.; Schlüter, M.: Experimental Investigation of the Rise Behavior of Gas-Saturated Crude-Oil Droplets under High Pressure, 6th Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2018, oral presentation
- Maly, M.; Pesch, S.; Schlüter, M.: Die Tiefsee im Labor – Wie eine Ölkatastrophe an der TUHH erforscht wird, 2. Maritime Nacht an der TUHH, Hamburg, Germany, 2018, oral presentation
- Fitschen, J.; Maly, M.; Rosseburg, A.; Wutz, J.; Wucherpfennig, T.; Schlüter, M.; (2019). Influence of Spacing of Multiple Impellers on Power Input in an Industrial-Scale Aerated Stirred Tank Reactor. Chemie Ingenieur Technik. 91. 1794-1801 [Abstract]