Generation and Optimization of Real-Time Code for Embedded Multiprocess and Multiprocessor Systems (E = Mp2)
|Acronym||E = Mp2|
|Name||Generation and Optimization of Real-Time Code for Embedded Multiprocess and Multiprocessor Systems|
(in German: Generierung und Optimierung von Echtzeitfähigem Code für Eingebettete Multiprozess- und Multiprozessor-Systeme)
|Role of TUHH||Applicant|
|Funds Donor||Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)|
During the design of safety-critical real-time systems like, e.g., airbag or flight attitude controllers, their behavior is specified at a high abstraction level. Compilers are an indispensible tool on the way from such a model-based specification to an actual implementation. For singlecore and singleprocess systems, compilers have recently been extended to support real-time properties already during compilation. For multiprocess and multiprocessor systems, compilers currently lack such a support despite of the increasing relevance of such parallel systems.
E = Mp2 aims to provide a software development environment for multiprocess and multiprocessor systems which produces efficient and optimized program code that provably meets real-time constraints. For this purpose, it has to be clarified how compiler and scheduler of an operating system need to cooperate. In addition, novel timing models supporting response times of processes and schedulability of entire systems need to be developed. Based on these timing models, novel compiler optimizations targeting on worst-case timing aspects and schedulability are designed.
In multiprocess systems, tasks can preempt each other and thus interfere. E = Mp2 develops compiler optimizations considering such context switches and scheduling strategies. In multiprocessor systems, different cores can access shared resources (e.g., buses or memories) at the same time and thus can cause additional interference. Therefore, this project works on compiler optimizations minimizing the worst-case timing of such systems by considering accesses to shared resources.
E = Mp2 Publications of the Embedded Systems Design Group
- Heiko Falk, Shashank Jadhav, Arno Luppold, Kateryna Muts, Dominic Oehlert, Nina Piontek and Mikko Roth (2020). Compilation for Real-Time Systems a Decade After PREDATOR. 151-169 [Abstract]
- Dominic Oehlert and Heiko Falk (2018). WCET Analysis of Automotive Buses using WCC. [Abstract]
- Dominic Oehlert, Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2017). Bus-aware Static Instruction SPM Allocation for Multicore Hard Real-Time Systems. 1:1-1:22 [Abstract]
- Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2017). Schedulability-Aware SPM Allocation for Preemptive Hard Real-Time Systems with Arbitrary Activation Patterns. 1074-1079 [Abstract]
- Heiko Falk (2016). WCET-Aware Compilation and Optimization for Real-Time Systems.
- Heiko Falk and Arno Luppold (2016). Schedulability-Aware Code Optimization for Multi-Task Real-Time Systems.
- Arno Luppold, Christina Kittsteiner and Heiko Falk (2016). Cache-Aware Instruction SPM Allocation for Hard Real-Time Systems. 77-85 [Abstract]
- Dominic Oehlert, Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2016). Practical Challenges of ILP-based SPM Allocation Optimizations. 86-89 [Abstract]
- Heiko Falk (2016). Achieving Timing Predictability by Combining Models.
- Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2015). Code Optimization of Periodic Preemptive Hard Real-Time Multitasking Systems. 35-42 [Abstract]
- Che-Wei Chang, Jian-Jia Chen, Tei-Wei Kuo and Heiko Falk (2015). Real-Time Task Scheduling on Island-Based Multi-Core Platforms. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS). 26. (2), 538-550 [Abstract]
- Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2015). Schedulability aware WCET-Optimization of Periodic Preemptive Hard Real-Time Multitasking Systems. 101-104 [Abstract]
- Sudipta Chattopadhyay, Lee Kee Chong, Abhik Roychoudhury, Timon Kelter, Peter Marwedel and Heiko Falk (2014). A Unified WCET Analysis Framework for Multicore Platforms. ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS). 13. (4s), [Abstract]
- Timon Kelter, Heiko Falk, Peter Marwedel, Sudipta Chattopadhyay and Abhik Roychoudhury (2014). Static analysis of multi-core TDMA resource arbitration delays. the International Journal of Time-Critical Computing Systems (Real-Time Systems). 50. (2), 185-229 [Abstract]
- Arno Luppold and Heiko Falk (2014). Schedulability-Oriented WCET-Optimization of Hard Real-Time Multitasking Systems. 9-12 [Abstract]
- Che-Wei Chang, Jian-Jia Chen, Tei-Wei Kuo and Heiko Falk (2013). Real-Time Partitioned Scheduling on Multi-Core Systems with Local and Global Memories. 467-472 [Abstract]
- Timon Kelter, Tim Harde, Peter Marwedel and Heiko Falk (2013). Evaluation of resource arbitration methods for multi-core real-time systems. 1-10 [Abstract]
- Jan C. Kleinsorge, Heiko Falk and Peter Marwedel (2013). Simple Analysis of Partial Worst-case Execution Paths on General Control Flow Graphs. [Abstract]
- Sascha Plazar, Heiko Falk, Jan C. Kleinsorge and Peter Marwedel (2012). WCET-aware Static Locking of Instruction Caches. 44-52 [Abstract]
- Sudipta Chattopadhyay, Lee Kee Chong, Abhik Roychoudhury, Timon Kelter, Heiko Falk and Peter Marwedel (2012). A Unified WCET Analysis Framework for Multi-core Platforms. 99-108 [Abstract]
- Heiko Falk, Peter Marwedel and Paul Lokuciejewski (2012). Reconciling Compilation and Timing Analysis. 145-170 [Abstract]
- Heiko Falk and Jan C. Kleinsorge (2012). Reconciling Compilers and Timing Analysis for Safety-Critical Real-Time Systems - the WCET-aware C Compiler WCC.
- Che-Wei Chang, Jian-Jia Chen, Waqaas Munawar, Tei-Wei Kuo and Heiko Falk (2012). Partitioned Scheduling for Real-Time Tasks on Multiprocessor Embedded Systems with Programmable Shared SRAMs. 153-162 [Abstract]