The elbe code is continuously used and extended in several national and international research projects at the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH, Hamburg, Germany) and the University of Rhode Island (URI, Rhode Island, USA).
- Modeling the Flow around Ships in ice-covered areas (ProEis research project)
- Prediction of Ship-Ice Interaction (PrICE research project)
- Flow improvement through compliant hull coating (FLIPPER research project)
- Transition Manipulation (TransMan research project)
- Perturbation LBM (several NSF research projects)