- Advanced water treatment processes (adsorption; membrane processes; and ion exchange)
- Monitoring strategies and treatment performance assessments
- State-of-the-art analysis of oxyanions (Arsenic, phosphate) and NOM in water and wastewater systems
- Experimental and numerical investigations of arsenic removal from contaminated wate
- Electro-conductive porous membranes for electro-sorption/-desorption of natural organic matter from water
- Alam, R., Khan, S. U., Usman, M., Asif, M., Farooqi, I. H. (2022). A critical review on treatment of saline wastewater with emphasis on electrochemical based approaches. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 158,625-643. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2021.11.054
Benettayeb, A., Ghosh, S., Usman, M., Seihoub, F. Z., Sohoo, I., Chia, C. H., & Sillanpää, M. (2022). Some well-known alginate and chitosan modifications used in adsorption: A review. Water, 14(9), 1353. doi: 10.3390/w14091353
Benettayeb, A., Usman, M., Tinashe, C. C., Adam, T., & Haddou, B. (2022). A critical review with emphasis on recent pieces of evidence of Moringa oleifera biosorption in water and wastewater treatment. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. doi: 10.1007/s11356-022-19938-w
- Aslam MM-A, Kuo H-W, Den W, Usman M, Sultan M, Ashraf H. Functionalized carbon nanotubes (CNTs) for water and wastewater treatment: Preparation to application. Sustainability. 2021; 13(10):5717. 10.3390/su13105717
- Usman, M., Belkasmi, A.I., Katsoyiannis, I., Ernst, M. (2021). Pre-deposited dynamic membrane adsorber formed from microscale conventional iron-based adsorbents to remove arsenic from water: Application study and mathematical modeling. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology. DOI: 10.1002/jctb.6728
- S. Glass, T. Mantel, M. Appold, S. Sen, M. Usman, M. Ernst, V. Filiz, "Amine-Terminated PAN Membranes as Anion-Adsorber Materials", Chemie Ingenieur Technik 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/cite.202100037
- Mousazadeh, M.; Niaragh, E.K.; Usman, M.; Khan, S.U.; Sandoval, M.A.; Al-Qodah, Z.; Khalid, Z.B.; Gilhotra, V.; Emamjomeh, M.M. A critical review of state-of-the-art electrocoagulation technique applied to COD-rich industrial wastewaters. Environmental Science and Pollution Research 2021, doi:10.1007/s11356-021-14631-w.
- Khan, S. U., Farooqi, I. H., Usman, M., & Basheer, F. (2020). Energy Efficient Rapid Removal of Arsenic in an Electrocoagulation Reactor with Hybrid Fe/Al Electrodes: Process Optimization Using CCD and Kinetic Modeling. Water, 12(10), 2876. DOI:10.3390/w12102876
- Usman. M., Katsoyiannis. I., Rodrigues. JH., Ernst. M. (2020). Arsenate removal from drinking water using by-products from conventional iron oxyhydroxides production as adsorbents coupled with submerged microfiltration unit. Environmental science and pollution research. DOI: 10.1007/s11356-020-08327-w
- Usman, M.; Zarebanadkouki, M.; Waseem, M.; Katsoyiannis, I.A.; Ernst, M. Mathematical modeling of arsenic(V) adsorption onto iron oxyhydroxides in an adsorption-submerged membrane hybrid system. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2020. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.123221
- M. Usman, J. Rodrigues, S. Tasawwar, M. Ernst, Application of submerged membrane adsorption hybrid system to remove arsenic for drinking water production, Proceedings of the 9th International Water Association (IWA) Membrane Technology Conference (IWA-MTC 2019), 23 to 27 June 2019, Toulouse, France.
- M. Usman, I. Katsoyiannis, S. Tasawwar, M. Ernst, Effect of Water Matrix on Arsenic Removal Using Three Iron Oxide-based Adsorbents, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Chemistry and Environment (ICCE 2019), 16 to 20 June 2019, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Usman, M.; Katsoyiannis, I.; Mitrakas, M.; Zouboulis, A.; Ernst, M. Performance Evaluation of Small Sized Powdered Ferric Hydroxide as Arsenic Adsorbent. Water 2018, 10, 957.
- Usman, M.; Waseem, M.; Mani, N.; Andiego, G. Optimization of Soil Aquifer Treatment by Chemical Oxidation with Hydrogen Peroxide Addition. Pollution 2018, 4, 369–379.
- Andiego, G.; Waseem, M.; Usman, M.; Mani, N. The Influence of Rain Gauge Network Density on the Performance of a Hydrological Model. CWEEE 2018, 08, 27–50.