In this research project a novel chemical looping gasification (CLG) process with a two-stage fuel reactor is investigated. The aim of the study is to optimize the CLG process and detect suitable operation conditions, e.g. for the gasification temperature, ratio of bed materials, syngas composition and the oxygen carrier lifespan. This can be achieved by a sophisticated model of the process which has to be implemented in a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software like OpenFOAM® or Barracuda Virtual Reactor®.
To allow the simulation of industrial plants with reasonable computational time the multiphase - particle in cell (MP-PIC) method is applied. This facilitates the consideration of various effects like particle size distributions as well as shrinkage effects and reduces the computational costs compared to the discrete particle model (DPM).
Further information can be found in the project description:
- S. Wang, X. Yin, K. Jarolin, T. Dymala, J. Xu, S. Yin, M. Dosta, T. Song, S. Heinrich, S. Shen: Mechanical strength evolution of biomass pellet during chemical looping gasification in fluidized bed, Fuel Processing Technology, 2021, Volume 221, DOI: 10.1016/j.fuproc.2021.106951
- T. Dymala, T. Wytrwat, S. Heinrich: MP-PIC simulation of circulating fluidized beds using an EMMS based drag model for Geldart B particles, Particuology, Accepted.
- K. Jarolin, S. Wang, T. Dymala, T. Song, S. Heinrich, L. Shen, M. Dosta: Characterizing devolatilized wood pellets for fluidized bed applications, Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, 2021, DOI: 10.1007/s13399-021-01486-x
- J. Haus, L. Lindmüller, T. Dymala, K. Jarolin, Y. Feng, E.-U. Hartge, S. Heinrich, J. Werther: Increasing the efficiency of chemical looping combustion of biomass by a dual-stage fuel reactor design to reduce carbon capture costs, Mitigation and Adaption Strategies for Global Change, 2020, DOI: 10.1007/s11027-020-09917-2
- S. Wang, T. Song, S. Yin, E.-U. Hartge, T. Dymala, L. Shen, S. Heinrich, J. Werther: Syngas, tar and char behavior in chemical looping gasification of sawdust pellet in fluidized bed, Fuel, 270 (2020), DOI: 10.1016/j.fuel.2020.117464
- J. Kammerhofer, L. Fries, T. Dymala, J. Dupas, L. Forny, S. Heinrich, S. Palzer: Penetration rates into heterogeneous model systems and soluble food material, Powder Technoligy, 339 (2018), DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2018.08.068