Finding and Applying for an internship
You should start looking for an internship between three and twelve months before your planned start date. The exact timeframe depends on your individual plans. You should think about whether you want to do an internship with a particular company or do an internship abroad early on. While many smaller companies do not have deadlines for internship applications, large companies with particularly sought-after internships and foreign companies sometimes have application deadlines up to a year before the internship begins. It is generally sufficient however to look for a suitable internship position three to six months before your planned start date. We would recommend attending the workshop "Alles rund ums Praktikum" (all about internships), which is designed specifically for AIW and GES students. The workshop will give you an initial overview on looking for an internship and provide tips on the different stages of the internship search process. After you have attended the workshop, why not make use of the various other opportunities offered by the Career Center?
Please register for the Stud.IP course "Fachpraktikum AIW/GES" when you start your search.
"Alles rund ums Praktikum" (All about internships) workshop
During the workshop, career coach Oliver Braust will prepare you for the internship application process. You will learn about the different stages of the internship search process. For those who are new to job hunting and job applications, the workshop is also an opportunity to identify subjects you might have an interest in specialising in. The following questions will be covered:
- Where can I find an internship?
- Which internship is right for me?
- How do I apply for an internship?
- What should an application letter and CV look like?
- What should I consider if making a speculative application?
- What do I do in an interview?
- Which additional support services are there? Where can I get advice?
Places are reserved for AIW and GES students in the fifth or higher semesters. Any remaining places can be given to other students. Registration is required. Please note that the main language of the workshop is German. In summer semester 2019, you can choose from the following dates:
- Monday, 29.04.2019 10:00 - 16:00
- Tuesday, 28.05.2019 10:00 - 16:00 - cancelled due to lack of registrations
- Thursday, 27.06.2019 10:00 - 16:00
Further support with searching and applying for internships
After you have attended the “Alles rund ums Praktikum” (All about internships) workshop, you can build on your individual preparation by taking up the many opportunities offered by the Career Center. Below, you can find selected opportunities from the semester programme, organised according to the stages of the internship search process. Please note the main language of the events below is German (unless otherwise stated).
- Finding an internship
- Monday, 15.04.2019 Jobsearch 2.0 with ALTEN
- Tuesday, 30.04.2019 Professional networking
- Friday, 10.05.2019 How to introduce yourself at career fairs
- Monday, 28.05.2019 Job hunting online with SThree
- Wednesday, 03.07.2019 Information Event GES
- Various events with opportunities to meet companies
- Apply for individual interviews at the TUHH Career Forum
- Internship Wall in Building A
- Regional Companies and Internship Offers
- Preparing your application documents
- Wednesday, 17.04.2019 How to present yourself during the application process
- Friday, 26.04.2019 Application basics (English)
- Monday, 13.05.2019 Application training with FERCHAU
- Monday, 17.06.2019 TOP TEN tips on writing applications
- Feedback on application documents
- You can sign up for an application check consultation on the Career Center website.
- Application check consultations are also available at various company fairs, including the TUHH Career Forum and the stellenwerk job fair.
- You can also arrange an appointment by emailing career.service(at)tuhh.de
The Career Center offers application check consultations
- Practising interviews
You did not find what you were looking for? Please contact:
Eilika Schwenke, e-mail: career.service(at)tuhh.de, Tel.: 040-42878-6190