To study abroad for one or two semesters you can apply for exchange places that are available through bilateral agreements with partner universities abroad – either through exchange cooperations within the EU program Erasmus+ student mobility for studies (SMS) or through exchange cooperations that the TUHH holds directly with partner universities. The benefit of studying abroad within an exchange cooperation is usually in simplified credit recognition and waived tuition fees at the partner university.
Exchange places available through Erasmus+ SMS are usually combined with a small mobility allowance (Mobilitätsbeihilfe). However, outgoing students nominated for an exchange place at one of TUHH's direct partner universities can apply to additional funding programs - the allowance is not automatically included. This also applies to students who are planing and organising an individual study abroad period at a non-partner university (free mover).
In any case, outgoing exchange students will have to discuss their prospective study programs abroad and the subsequent recognition of credits at TUHH with their respective study program director (i.e. Studiengangsleiterin / Studiengangsleiter) beforehand. The learning agreement is the document which records the abroad study program and the recognition of the abroad credits (for details please see information of the specific program).
Students planning to go abroad for a research project or a bachelor or master thesis are required to have a thesis supervisor at both the host university and TUHH.
Who can apply for an Exchange Stay at a Partner University?
Both Bachelor students and Master students of TUHH can apply for an exchange stay at a partner university.
However, Bachelor students have to fullfil specific criteria. Each school of study (Studiendekanat) sets their own criteria for their Bachelor students. There may be additional Bachelor student citeria for certain courses of study.
The bachelor criteria are listed for each school of study:
- need to have successfully completed 30 ECTS credits
- must have sucessfully completed Mathematics and Mechanics (I and II)
The school of Civil Engineering provides additional information for ALL outgoing and incoming exchange students on their website.
Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics
- need to have a minimum of 30 ECTS
- must have successfully completed Mathematics I and Mathematics II. Exception: students in Technomathematics must have sucessfully completed Linear Algebra for Technomathematicians or Analysis for Technomathematicians
The school of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Mathematics provides additional information for ALL outgoing exchange students on their website.
Management Sciences and Technology
- must have completed a minimum of 30 ECTS
- should show adequate advancement of studies depending of the number of completed semesters
The school of Management Sciences and Technology provides additional information for ALL outgoing exchange students on their website.
- need to have a minimum of 40 credits
- for mechanical engineering the following courses have to be completed: Mathematics I and II, Mechanics I and II, Thermodynamics I, Fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering Design
- In addition Mechanical Engineering Design should be completed
- for Naval Architecture the following courses have to be sucessfully completed: Mathematics I and II, Mechanics I and II, Thermodynamics I
- In addition Mechanical Engineering Design, Hydrostatics and Body Plan should be completed
The school of Mechanical Engineering provides additional information for ALL outgoing and incoming exchange students on their website.
Process and Chemical Engineering
- need to have sucessfully completed 30 ECTS
- must have sucessfully completed Mathematics I and II
The school of Process and Chemical Engineering provides additional information for ALL outgoing and incoming exchange students on their website.
Necessary documents for uploading
- Language certificate in the working language minimum. B1
- Letter of Motivation (for each University one, you can download an example in Mobility Online)
- Transcript of Records
- Bachelor certificate (if available)