Application Procedure for Exchange Students

1. Nomination
Your home university nominates you by sending the nomination form to Ms. Jutta Janzen.

The nomination deadlines are 15.04 for winter semester stays and 15.10 for summer semester stays.

2. Before the application
The TUHH international office will send you the exchange application link by Email.

The exchange student application phase for winter semester stays is from 15.04 to 15.06 and for summer semester stays from 15.10 to 15.12.

3. Starting the application
To start your online exchange application, you need to follow the link you received from us by Email. It directs you to an online form, which is the first part of your exchange application.

Fill out this online form and click ‘send’ at the bottom. This will create an application for exchange studies in our database Mobility-Online. NOTE: This application is still incomplete!

Mobility-Online will send you a confirmation email and asks you to create a user account in Mobility-Online.

4. During the application
Follow the link in this Email to register as a user in Mobility-Online. You need to choose a user name, login and password. This will enable you to view and complete your still unfinished exchange student application.

Your entire exchange stay at TUHH will be managed through Mobility-Online. You’ll need to get back to your application/mobility workflow in Mobility-Online before, during, and after your stay at TUHH.

5. During the application
Complete your exchange application. The steps in the workflow are consecutive: they have to be filled out one after the other, and they are all obligatory. Download information and forms from the workflow and upload filled out and signed forms to your exchange application workflow.

Note to ERASMUS students: We are about to switch to the OLA (Online Learning Agreement). For now, we are still using the PDF-paper-based Learning Agreement form.
If your home university cannot accept this and you already need to use the OLA, please contact Ms. Jutta Janzen as soon as possible.

Documents to down- and upload:
a.    Learning agreement form
b.    Transcript of records with previous and current work
c.    Language Certificate
d.    Motivation letter
e.    Facial picture
f.    TUHH exchange application form

6. Finishing the application
The last step in your application is the upload of a scan of the exchange application form. Your home university needs to sign this.
This last upload completes your exchange application and notifies the TUHH International Office.

7. The accommodation application
If you want to apply for a room in the student's halls in Hamburg, please click here. Scroll down and read how you can apply.

Creating your Learning Agreement: choosing courses suitable for exchange students

To complete your Learning Agreement you can select courses from all of TUHHs degree programs (Bachelor and Master), except for the Joint Master program courses.
Please check specific information and selection of the courses suitable for exchange students in the Study Packages assigned to each school of study listed above!

The general compilation of courses course suitable for exchange students can be found in the list:  courses for Winter Semester 2020/2021 + Summer Semester 2021.

The non-technical elective courses are listed separately. Most of them have limited places and some have special entry requirements and registration procedures. There is a detailed description of the non-technical electives (Bachelor and Master) and the business and management courses (for all degree students) as well.

Please also have a look into the module handbooks of the degree programs (sorted by degree program) to see an overview of all the modules and the courses they consist of. There are also detailed module descriptions (sorted by alphabet, not by degree program). Some module courses may have prerequisites.

Please note, that exams are offered only for complete modules, i.e. one exam for all the courses that belong to one module. Depending on whether you will stay for 1 or 2 semester, please make sure to always select all the courses belonging to one module. Pay attention: some modules stretch over more than 1 semester!

Students who intend to carry out a thesis work at TUHH should make all necessary arrangements with the TUHH supervisor before they arrive at TUHH!

Deadlines & Academic Calendar

Winter semester exchange student application deadline: 15. June
Summer semester exchange student application deadline: 15. December

summer semester: 20 April 2020  – 09 October 2020
lectures: 20 April 2020 – 28 July 2020
start of exams: tentatively 29 July 2020

winter semester: 01 October 2020 – 31 March 2021
lectures: 1 November 2020 - 30 January 2021
tentative start of exams: 01 February 2021

Please, take a look at the exact dates for the upcoming semesters and the tentative examination period of the current semester.

The TUHH examinations are carried out in the non-lecture period. Summer semester: mid- July until the end of September, Winter semester: mid- January until the end of March. The examination registration for exchange students is carried out within two weeks in May and in December. If you have to leave the TUHH earlier, you should contact the professor in time to find an individual regulation for the examination you want to take.

Language Requirements

Please note, that you can only study at TUHH if your language proficiency is sufficient for your study purposes. Most of the bachelor courses are taught in German and bachelor students need to have a German level that will allow them to undertake an academic study.

All exchange students from partner universities must have sufficient language skills in the working language German (B1) and/or English (B2) (CEFR).
Certified tests such as TOEFL, TestDAF, IELTS, etc. are accepted (online version is sufficient). Online grading tests with conclusive identification of the participants, e.g. Erasmus+ OLS- tests, will not be accepted. If you have no official test document, the proof must be in a form of a confirmation / official certificate from a recognized language school in the home country or a language institute of the home university. A confirmation by the home exchange coordinator is also sufficient. Language and placement tests are not accepted.
Those exchange students, who are studying in an English speaking degree programme can only be acquitted of the duty to provide a language certificate when they can provide proof that all courses at the home university are in English.
If a language certificate or proof cannot be provided during the online application, a document must be submitted instead stating that the applicant has registered for a language course and that the course is completed until the start of the study. (Submission deadlines: winter term 31 August, summer term 27. February).

Applicants wishing to complete a project or master thesis at TUHH should have the required language skills in the working language. A language certificate is not required.

You can obtain German language skills online, for example, internet-based German courses on the German-DUO web portal (German-Uni Online) under the guidance of experienced tutors.

Deputy Deans International (Dep. Coordinators) & Schools of Study

TUHH is organised in schools of study. There is one Deputy Dean International (with an assistant) for each school of study at TUHH, who has the role of a departmental coordinator for exchange studies. For academic questions and issues with your learning agreement, please turn to your Deputy Dean International and his or her assistant.

Entry and Residence Regulations

Students from the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA - Andora, Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway), as well as Switzerland, need only an identity card (ID) to enter Germany. All foreign exchange students from non-EU countries should obtain a study visa from the German Embassy in their home country!

Please contact the German Embassy in your home country for exact information on whether you also need to apply for an entry visa. The addresses of the Embassies and Consulates are listed on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. Important and useful information concerning Entry and Residence Regulations for international students is provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

International exchange students from non-EU countries who have been admitted to the TUHH have to apply for a residence permit for study purposes (Aufenthaltsbewilligung) at the Aliens' Registration Office (Ausländerabteilung), no later than 3 months after they arrived in Hamburg.

Please check as well the special information brochure "Information for international students" issued by the city of Hamburg in cooperation with Hamburgs institutions of higher education.

You can use as well the special services of Hamburg Welcome Center for arranging your residence permit and city registration as well as guidance for your new start in Hamburg.

Health Insurance

All international students in Germany must be compulsorily insured (German Social Security Code V, Paragraph 1 Clause 9). Proof of health insurance is a necessary condition for enrolment at the TUHH.
-Students from EU member countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland should present their European health insurance card.
-Students from countries that have a social security agreement with the Federal Republic of Germany like Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia-Montenegro, and Croatia should present their proof of the national health company (e.g. A/T 11).
Should you not be covered by any of these, you have to arrange the relevant insurance with a German health insurance company (examples of statutory health insurance companies are AOK, BARMER, DAK, HEK, KKH, IKK, TK)   You can make your application online before you enter Germany. The monthly fee for students up to the age of 30 is approx. EUR 110