Thank you for your interest in our university. All information is made available simultaneously in the German and English languages. But please note that the programs you are currently reading up on are taught in German as the main language of instruction. In case of application you have to prove sufficient knowledge in German amongst others.
The Bachelor's programs are taught in German predominantly. But there are also some lectures given in English. Please read and note the following information.
... for the application / admission
For all our Bachelor's programs (except GES) you have to prove that you have learned German to at least B 2.2-level (intermediate level) to take part in the admission process. In case of admission and enrolment German at a higher level must be proven.
... for the enrolment
For enrolment as a student at the Hamburg University of Technology you must prove that your command of German is adequate. § 41 Section 2 of the Hamburg University Act states that enrolment can be refused if an applicant with a foreign university entrance qualification that is considered to be equivalent to its German counterpart fails to prove a sufficient proficiency in German.
Proof of proficiency for all our Bachelor's programs (except GES) can be:
- a university entrance qualification gained at a German school abroad or a regular school in the Federal Republic of Germany;
- a certification or graduation certificate issued by a German "Studienkolleg";
- a "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH)" pass from a German university with an average DSH-2 grade at least;
- a degree certificate (of a course of study with German as language of instruction) issued by a German university or university of applied science (Fachhochschule);
- the "Deutsches Sprachdiplom" (Stage II) awarded by the "Kulturministerkonferenz";
- the "Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom" awarded by the Goethe Institute;
- the "Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF)" provided Grade 3 is reached in all constituent tests and an average of Grade 4 is reached for the entire test;
- the certificate "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule".
Please keep in mind that the TestDaF- and DSH-cerficate could only be accepted within two years after passing the exam. And only the above-mentioned certificates will be accepted by TUHH, without exceptions. If you can't prove one of the above-mentioned examinations, enrolment will be refused.
You should attend a suitable language course in your own country to ensure that your proficiency in German is adequate. German language courses are offered at many foreign universities, Goethe Institutes and German cultural institutes abroad. Details are available from German diplomatic and consular representations.
Special information for "General Engineering Science (GES)"
GES is a bilingual program. Every applicant has to prove sufficient knowledge in German and English.
For admission and enrolment concerning German:
- You have to prove sufficient knowledge in German at level B1 up to the application deadline (July 15) and at level DSH-1 and TestDaF (provided Grade 3 is reached in all constituent tests) respectively or one of the above-mentioned tests as such as DSH-2 up to the enrolment deadline (October 1).
After being admitted every prospective student is expected to show proficiency in English by taking one of the following exams up to the registration deadline:
- TOEFL (score 577 (PB) or 90 (IB) at least). The TUHH institution code is 8165, a department code is not required. The TOEFL ITP will not be accepted by TUHH.
- IELTS-Academics (score 6.5 at least);
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English;
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English;
- "telc English C1";
- "UNIcert English level III";
- for students of TUHH of one of the TUHH's courses of study with German as language of instruction: If you like to change into GES you can prove your English knowledge by attending and finishing the TUHH-C1.2-English course with success.
Any certificate may not be older than two years. And only the above-mentioned certificates will be accepted by TUHH, without exceptions. If you can't prove one of the above-mentioned examinations, enrolment will be refused.