FAQs for students



1. Which course and examination regulations are applicable to me? Do I have to take non-technical courses?

The examination regulations/subject-specific examination regulations that were valid at the time you commenced your degree programme apply to you. All course obligations are listed here, including course obligations relating to non-technical courses. You can find your subject-specific regulations and curricula here: https://studienplaene.tuhh.de/index.php?Lang=en Should you have any questions about your curriculum, please contact your programme coordinator.


2.           Are non-technical courses voluntary?

 No. Non-technical Courses are compulsory modules. There is a catalogue of non-technical courses from which you can choose.


3.           Do non-technical courses have to be taken in the first semester or can they also be taken in the fourth semester?

 Please check your subject-specific course and examination regulations (FSPO) for specific information. Generally speaking, your course obligations state you must earn 6 credit points through non-technical courses and you should take your non-technical courses alongside your usual studies. Furthermore, the following applies: For each semester, the registration process – which considers your topics of interest – will only assign one course place per student. If you delay fulfilling your course obligations until the last semester, you can expect to be assigned courses without any choice.


4.           Where can I see the list of current classes and find out about their times?

 The non-technical courses are listed in the course catalog and are also listed in Stud.IP. We will also provide you with an up-to-date calendar overview of all non-technical courses as a PDF file before the semester commences. Exception: Foreign language courses. Please note the differing information and registration modalities on the website. https://www.tuhh.de/tuhh/studium/studieren/sprachen-lernen-an-der-tuhh/sprachkurse-in-kooperation-mit-der-vhs/anmeldung-und-einstufung.html


5.           When do I need to register for non-technical courses?

 You generally register at the end of September and in the middle of March for non-technical courses. You will receive an email from the Coordination Office of Non-technical Courses detailing the specific registration periods. Exception: Foreign language courses. Please note the differing information and registration modalities on the website. https://www.tuhh.de/tuhh/studium/studieren/sprachen-lernen-an-der-tuhh/sprachkurse-in-kooperation-mit-der-vhs/anmeldung-und-einstufung.html


6.           Where can I register for classes?

 Registration and place allocation for non-technical courses is organised via Stud.IP. Further information can be found here: Accessing non-technical courses. Exception: Foreign language courses. Please note the differing information and registration modalities on the website. https://www.tuhh.de /tuhh/studium/studieren/sprachen-lernen-an-der-tuhh/sprachkurse-in-kooperation-mit-der-vhs/anmeldung-und-einstufung.html


7.           What do I need to bear in mind if a technical seminar and a non-technical course that I would like to take take place at the same time?

 You may have to choose between the courses. Attending non-technical seminars and lectures is obligatory and attendance is monitored to ensure you do not fail to attend a non-technical course you have been assigned to. The lecturer will determine more specific details. Failure to attend a non-technical course to which you have been assigned prevents someone else from participating. Equally, non-attendance can undermine the class discussion and learning process. If you have delayed the courses so much that your course times clash in your last intended study semester, your study time may extend.


8.           I would like to register for a seminar but I cannot find the seminar on Stud.IP. Why?

 If you cannot find a non-technical course, this could be for one of two reasons: The class is not available in the present semester and you’re looking at an old timetable or the class is taught in English and you need to search for the seminar in Stud.IP using the English title.


9.           I am having difficulties registering for a course online. Who can I speak to?

 Please contact the Coordination Office: koordinationsstelle-nta(at)tuhh.de


10.         As a student from a higher semester, can I be prioritised when places are automatically assigned?

 No. It is not possible to automatically assign places to seminar participants based on their semester on Stud.IP.



11.         I have been assigned a place in a non-technical course as part of the registration process but unfortunately I cannot attend the first course date. Can I still attend the class?

 Please contact the relevant lecturer before the first date and explain the situation to them. The lecturer will decide whether an authorised absence results in a student losing their place in the seminar or not. You can find the name of the lecturer in the course catalog.


12.         Can I still attend a course even if I was not given a place in the registration process?

 Yes, after phase 1 (prioritised course selection followed by a lottery), any unassigned places are assigned in phases 2 and 3 of the registration process. Phase 2: Registration for unassigned places and change of course. Phase 2 follows the first phase where places are assigned based on interest. On Stud.IP, you can register for as yet unassigned places on seminars or lectures. Phase 3: Once lectures have started, a “place exchange” will be opened on Stud.IP. Here, you can find out which classes still have places available. You can find the relevant contact details there or under the corresponding non-technical course titles on Stud.IP. If you register as a participant in the place exchange, you will receive regular updates by email.


13.         I study Vocational Subject Education (GTW), the lecturer has signed my record to confirm I have completed coursework at the TUHH and now I need a stamp, too. Who do I need to contact?

 Please contact the head of the Examination Office, Anne Kruse-Mittelbach.


14.         Can I attend Master’s seminars and lectures during my Bachelor’s course?

 Please first contact the responsible course administrator in the Examination Office to register for Master’s seminars or lecturers during your Bachelor’s course. Bachelor’s students may – only in the case of early Master’s classes – fulfil Master’s course obligations. However, these will only be recognized upon reaching Master’s level. If you are considering participating in a Master’s course during your Bachelor’s course, the following applies: You will only be assigned a place on the course if all interested Master’s students have been assigned places.


15.         I have completed coursework at another university: What do I need to do for it to be credited as a non-technical course?

 Please contact the Examination Office. You can find the Examination Office forms and corresponding application on the Examination Office website:  https://www.tuhh.de/alt/sls/service-fuer-lehre-und-studium/examination-office-office-of-the-doctoral-degree-committee-s6.html   Please complete the application for recognition of examination grades and credit points in full and enclose meaningful evidence.


16.         Are all VHS language courses recognised as a non-technical course?

 No. VHS courses are only recognized if they correspond with the level, scope and learning objectives of the courses offered at the TUHH at Bachelor’s or Master’s level. Please note: The TUHH foreign language courses have been designed especially by the VHS for the TUHH. The TUHH is the contracting authority. It is not the case that all VHS courses are recognized by the TUHH.


17.         Can I replace a non-technical course with voluntary work and have it credited?

 Yes. As part of the Social Learning seminar during the Bachelor’s and Master’s, you have the opportunity to volunteer in the area of refugees/migration. The relevant seminar titles are: Social Learning: Social engagement with refugees / Bachelor’s and Social Learning: Social engagement with refugees / Master’s. Your voluntary work, combined with a reflective piece on your work, is recognized as a Non-technical Course achievement. The voluntary work does not have to be completed solely during the lecture period of the corresponding seminar.